Numbness and Shock

Grief is the seed that can grow into anger, sorrow, despair and a whole host of other agonizing emotions. It must be pruned and controlled while it grows and flourishes down the natural path it must take. The death of a loved one is a very common reason for grief, but it can happen for many other reasons as well: The ending of a relationship, abortion, miscarriage, illness, injury, foreclosure, loss of a job, anything that causes pain in our lives

The key is to allow God to help you through the process.

My heart is filled with bitter sorrow and unending grief
Romans 9:2

Monday

Numbness and Shock

At about three o’clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?” Matthew 27:46

The key word in the scripture above is ‘why”. Jesus knew this was going to happen, but He still asked the question, WHY?

When something bad happens, you have the “hit me in the stomach” pain of the new reality. The numbness and shock will take days to wear off. All of your sensations are replaced with pain in every area. You won’t remember much, for several weeks, your memory will be blurry. Even if you knew it was coming, as Jesus did above, you will still experience the feelings above and start asking “why”.

As you go through the motions of you life, remembering you must eat, try to sleep and be somewhat civil, the growing ache leaves you at a loss for how to live your life in any normal fashion. It is at this time that you must look upward and remember, in spite of the enormous painful throbbing in your soul, you have to ask God for His help. Do not turn your back on Him, even though you are wondering if He is really up there.

Lord, when I have to face the numbness of loss of any kind, please, help me and my loved ones to stay focused on You. Please, help me (us) to keep pointed in the right direction. When I am near someone going through this, help me to say and do the right things at the right time and allow Your love and compassion to flow through me.